Sunday, May 25, 2008

Stephen Blood Serves His Country In Viet Nam


March 25, 1966
Dear Judy and Bob,
This will have to be short because I don't have a heck of a lot of time to get done what I need to get done. Thank you for the letters, they really help. I do wish that someone would have called the Red Cross when grandfather died and I could have come home for a month. By the time I got the word though it was too late.
I wish that I could describe Saigon to you but I don't believe that Jimmie Jones has invented the words for it yet. I have never seen such poverty, ignorance and filth all in one place.
I haven't really met a lot of V.C. yet. Thank goodness for that, I have a hard enough time fighting the good ole American drunk G. I.
It's a lonely place over here and ten more months seem like a long time to go........
Well, I've got to polish tons of brass and spit shine yards of leather for tomorrows patrol so Id' better call it quits for now.
Love,
Steve

5 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Thank you, Judy, for posting this. It is very appropriate for Memorial Day. I am ashamed to say that I was wrapped up in my own difficulties at the time, and didn't keep track of Steve, so I'm glad that you and Bob did. Steve, this had to be a life-changing experience for you. After viewing the Memorial Day concert on PBS last night, I have an even greater respect for the grit and difficulty that was part of every day and night for those who went to war.

Judy said...

The part that I left out of the letter had to do with how homesick Steve became when he received a picture of his son Michael. I couldn't write that last night, (too emotional) but woke up this morning knowing I needed to add that.

Ann said...

What an appropriate post for today. There are so many heart tugs and so much to be thankful for, as I think about this time in Steve's life. I am thankful for good people like Steve and Ross and all the others who have made the sacrifices asked of them by our country. May I just say Amen to Elizabeth's comment.

Steve Blood said...

That was a shot across the bow. Thanks, I love you all. Steve

Louise Blood said...

Thank you for posting that letter to remind us of the part our brother played in that terrible place in that terrible war. Lest we forget I love you, too, Steve.