Thursday, June 5, 2008

Important Happenings at Home - Spring 1953



In the spring of 1953, I rebelled against the edict that I could not try out for the Senior Class Play, "The Madwoman of Chaillot", although I had been promised an important part. Mother and Dad's reason (valid, I realized in later years) was that they didn't have the time, energy, or money for gas to take me to play practice 5 nights a week for 6 months. However, I worked a deal with Mrs. Kells, the mother of my friend since 3rd grade, Shirley Kells, and was allowed to stay in town with Shirley during week nights. Then Mother and Dad would pick me up on Friday night. Shirley was involved with the play, also, so we either walked, or she pedaled me to play practice on her bicycle. (I never learned to ride). Because I was gone from home during the week, Ann, who was 11 years old to my 17-almost 18, would send me little notes via Audrey Baxter, a classmate who also rode our bus. This is the only one I can find, but it more than compensates for the loss of the rest. What stupendous news Ann had to tell me! Changes were in the air - I always thought Ann would grow up to become a news reporter, but that didn't prove true. The incredible loyalty that I felt from my siblings has continued through the years.
One important side note. When I went back to live in the house at Penrose from the spring of 1971 to the spring of 1973, the old stove was still there. It didn't work very well anymore, and I was able to buy a new electric stove with a self-cleaning oven. However, the linoleum was still on the floor- almost 20 years later.
P.S. Ann, I hope this isn't embarrasing to you - it is such an endearing communication.

2 comments:

Ann said...

I think I was missing my "subtle" filter. One thing about it, you really knew every little detail as seen through my eyes. No, it doesn't embarrass me, I am just glad my writing/spelling skills have improved and I am a little more aware of what to say and how to say it so I don't normally say more than I should (hopefully).

Judy said...

Ann,I think the way you said it was perfect! In talking with Elizabeth via phone tonight, we agree that Ann has a keen insight into whatever is happening. Also, please note Ann included mention of the glue and the roller paint pan. "Here's whatcha do." was born. Good job, Elizabeth

Are there any pictures of the Mad Woman? I would love to see that! I remember when you came on stage in the long dress and big hat and I didn't recognize you. You were a star!