Friday, June 20, 2008

One of the pole chairs



This fine pole chair which was once relegated to hang on a spike in the "new shop," and only taken down when Judy, Ann and I happened to be playing there, took it to use as a throne, a daddy's chair or whatever else we needed it to be for the afternoon. When the folks moved to Washington it sat next to the wood stove in the log shop, a nice place to warm up on a damp morning. I will not be insulted if I am corrected on this, but I believe this chair was made in Sunlight in the 1920s. I know it is our fathers because of the stories he told me about building it and other chairs.

4 comments:

Elizabeth said...

You won't be insulted. The first pole chair was mentioned in a letter dating in the mid-30's. Also, Dad writes in letters about constructing pole chairs for the dude ranch. Thanks for posting this one - so glad that a pole chair stayed in the family.

Ann said...

This is like seeing an old friend. What fun we had playing in this chair in the shop. It was definitely the "king of the hill" throne. How did you fix the seat? Thanks Steve.

Judy said...

We are thankful that this pole chair was kept in the family. Yes, we did have playing with in it at the shop, probably not as reverently as we feel about it now.

Judy said...

I think I left out the word "fun" right after have and just before playing.